Jackfruit is very popular in vegan circles. But it is more than just a meat alternative. You can find out what you need to know about them and how to prepare them here.
For certain links in this article, BUNTE.de receives a commission from the retailer, so that we can, for example, offer you special products at unbeatable prices. All mediation-relevant links are with one
icon significant. happy shopping
The jackfruit is especially popular in Brazil and Asian countries, but the fruit is originally from southern India. Jackfruit has a green nodule and their flesh is yellow. They also have a stalk with seeds.
Weighing 20 to 40 kg, the jackfruit is the largest and heaviest fruit in the world. So it is not surprising that the heavy weight grows directly on the trunk of the jackfruit tree, as branches would not withstand the weight.
Jackfruit has a relatively long ripening time of 180 days. However, the harvest is unproblematic: the fruits only need to be picked from the tree, which bears up to 30 fruits per year. The harvest takes place all year round, with the exception of a few months depending on the place of origin. However, the fruits are not available in midsummer in Europe.
Low in calories, delicious and nutritious: the benefits of jackfruit
Ripe jackfruit has a yellow sweetish flesh and is therefore particularly suitable for fruit salads when they are raw. Unripe, green fruits, on the other hand, are quite tasteless and can therefore be processed very well, for example to make meat substitutes. The meat-like consistency of an unripe jackfruit makes it an ideal meat alternative.
Jack fruits are not only delicious, but also offer some benefits in terms of content. 100 grams of the fruit already covers 17 percent of your daily iron needs and also contains a lot of magnesium and calcium. The ingredients in the fruit support your nerve and heart muscle cells and also strengthen your immune system.
Another benefit: the jackfruit contains only a paltry 40 calories per 100 grams.
Vegan meat alternative: The fibrous flesh of the jackfruit
Due to their nutritional value, jackfruit is not only suitable for vegans as part of a balanced and conscious diet, but also complements all forms of nutrition.
The fibrous texture, reminiscent of chicken, and the mild taste make the fruit the perfect meat alternative. Spices and sauces are well absorbed by the pulp, so there are actually no limits to the taste.
Jack fruits are very versatile. For example, the fried variety, which is found in curries or steaks, is popular.
If we have now aroused your interest and you want to go to the supermarket to buy you a jackfruit, we will probably disappoint you a little. Getting a fresh jackfruit in Germany is not that easy. Apart from that, the heavy weight is too much even for a large family.
But do not worry, you can also get jackfruit in cans, both ripe and unripe. It is best to visit an Asian store, but you can also find what you are looking for in larger supermarkets or pharmacies. Jackfruit is now available in jars from Amazon.
Jackfruit: What you should pay attention to when preparing it
When preparing the jackfruit, make sure the skin is intact if you can actually get a fresh fruit. You should also remove any seeds before consuming. As the pulp is very sticky, we recommend that you use gloves when preparing.
Green curry with jackfruit
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 1 jar jackfruit (220 g)
- 2 halved onions
- 30 grams of chopped ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- 6 teaspoons rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tomatoes (cut into pieces)
- 300 grams of potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 250 ml coconut cream
- 200 grams of green beans
- Pour the jackfruit into a strainer to drain off excess juice. Then cut the fruit into pieces. Put 1 teaspoon of rapeseed oil in a pan, heat up and then fry the jackfruit pieces until they are crispy.
- Ginger, garlic and onion are fried in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil, then add the curry powder. Then add tomatoes, potatoes, vegetable broth and 60 ml of water and cook for ten minutes. After adding the coconut cream, cook for another three minutes.
- Now lift the jackfruit under the curry and add the beans. You then season it all with lime juice and soy sauce and your delicious jackfruit curry is ready.
Pulled jackfruit burger
For 2 servings you need the following:
- 200 g jackfruit in pieces
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika powder
- 100 g red cabbage
- 1 mini romaine lettuce
- 1 small onion
- 1 optional bun
- First, rinse the jackfruit. Then a marinade is prepared for these. To do this, peel the garlic and finely chop it or use a garlic press. Then add 4 tablespoons of water, 2 tablespoons of oil, syrup, paprika powder and vinegar. The marinade is then seasoned with salt and pepper. Then mix the jackfruit with the marinade and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and chop lettuce and red cabbage. The onion is cut into fine cubes.
- Then heat some oil in a pan and fry the onion until it becomes translucent, add the jackfruit and then fry them on high heat for about five minutes.
- Cut the bun and top it with salad, red cabbage and jackfruit and your delicious hamburger is ready.